Saturday 26 July 2014

KURT VONNEGUT MADE ME CRY.





It doesn't happen as often as it should but the book I was reading made me cry.

It was Kurt Vonnegut's “A man without a country”




The tears ran down my face and had to be wiped away.

He is a very funny writer but I wasn't crying tears of laughter.


This is what he wrote that made me cry.

“Joe, a young man from Pittsburg, came up to me with one request:

“Please tell me it will all be okay.”

“Welcome to Earth, young man,” I said. “It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, Joe, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of: Goddamn it Joe, you've got to be kind!”


So what do you think?

I was thinking it is impossible not to feel passionate about what is happening in Gaza to ordinary people, women, children and civilians.

Passion is needed to make things better.

I was also thinking that the suffering makes it more important to be dispassionate about the facts that led to and created the problems of the Middle East.

If we aren't dispassionate at the same time we will undermine our own arguments.

Vonnegut talks about a one day massacre that killed 135,000 people. It was inflicted on the 'worst people in history' – those guilty of the Holocaust - by the 'good' people of Britain. It was done out of revenge or as an experiment and was not necessary to end the war.
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4981.Slaughterhouse_Five

Those same 'good' people refused to allow Jewish refugees to travel to Palestine even though there was no place on earth for them. Many died or drowned. Those same 'good' people refused to allow the creation of Israel until the Stern Gang and Irgun, both terrorist organisations, forced their hand.

The suffering on the people of Gaza does not make Hamas any better than it is.

The Holocaust does not justify the attack on Gaza.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/07/gaza-1994-2004-peace-led-war-2014720144816864760.html

What can we do? What can I do?
 
Be passionate about helping people who suffer.

Be dispassionate. It is not the suffering on either side makes people good or bad or justifies their politics or history.

Be kind to both parties to be fair. Be merciful to be just.
 
http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/jews-and-arabs-refuse-to-be-enemies/

No comments:

Post a Comment